Enhancing Virtual Engagement Using Educational Gaming; How to Create a Virtual Interprofessional Escape Room
- Utilize problem-solving and teamwork skills to complete an interprofessional escape room activity.
- Correlate IPEC Core Competencies to using an educational game for interprofessional education and development.
- Create a shell for an interprofessional escape room activity using Google Forms.
- Discuss other examples of enhancing interprofessional participation in virtual settings.
When the COVID-19 pandemic forced many to move to online platforms to deliver education and training, it provided an opportunity to grow and expand the interprofessional faculty development program offered by the Faculty Development Committee of the Yakima Valley Interprofessional Practice and Education Collaborative, called Success with Interprofessional Practice and Education (SWIPE). One component of the latest course was developed to target the IPEC Core Competency Roles and Responsibilities for Collaborative Practice. Considering anecdotal reports of decreased student engagement on online learning platforms, such as Zoom, an escape room activity to enhance online participation for SWIPE participants was developed using Google Forms and delivered as part of the SWIPE Faculty Development Program offered in January 2021. Though in-person gatherings may resume, the advantages of delivering interprofessional education or training virtually (e.g., convenience of including students/faculty from a remote institution) make this proposed topic a continued relevant one.
This seminar will walk NEXUS Summit attendees through the process of developing and implementing a virtual escape room activity and discussing similarly engaging ideas by:
- Running through an abridged version of the interprofessional escape room activity;
- Discussing the advantages and tips/pitfalls for developing and delivering an escape room activity and correlating the activity objectives to IPEC Core Competencies;
- Walking through the how-to steps of creating an escape room using Google Forms as attendees actively follow along to create one; and
- Providing space and time to share other experiences/ideas for engaging participants in a virtual setting.
At the end of this seminar, participants will be able to create escape room activities for online settings and take away other ideas for enhancing delivery of interprofessional education and training at their own institutions.
In support of improving patient care, this activity is planned and implemented by The National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education Office of Interprofessional Continuing Professional Development (OICPD). The OICPD is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
This activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners will receive Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credit for learning and change.
Physicians: The National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education designates this live activity for AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Physician Assistants: The American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA) accepts credit from organizations accredited by the ACCME.
Nurses: Participants will be awarded contact hours of credit for attendance at this workshop.
Nurse Practitioners: The American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Program (AANPCP) accepts credit from organizations accredited by the ACCME and ANCC.
Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians: This activity is approved for contact hours.
IPCE: This activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners will receive Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credits for learning and change