Dr Karl Self joined the faculty of the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry in 2006 and in January of 2010, he was selected to be the Director of the newly created Division of Dental Therapy. In addition to managing all aspects of the implementation of this program, he is engaged in teaching dental, dental therapy, and dental hygiene students. His current research efforts are focused on the implementation of dental therapy in Minnesota; general research interests include as well as team based care, access to care, and global health.
Dr Self earned his DDS degree from the University of Minnesota’s School of Dentistry, and a MBA from the University of Minnesota’s Carlson School of Management. During his professional career he has been engaged in a variety of dental practice types including private practice and large group practice, yet he has spent most of his professional life in a community clinic. Other professional roles include a consultant for the Department of Human Services’ Medical Assistance program, the director of Diversity and Inclusivity for the School of Nursing, and executive director of a Federally Qualified Healthcare Center in Minneapolis. Dr Self serves on the board of a number of non-profit dental focused organizations and has been involved in improving oral healthcare in Africa.
Awards & Recognition
- Rwanda Allied Health Professions Council Certificate of Recognition (2017)
- Karl D. Self Student Achievement Award; an annual award created by the School of Dentistry Alumni Society (2015)
- Inducted in the American College of Dentists (2015)
- Fellow, ADEA Leadership Institute (2013 – 2014)
- Social and Behavioral Science and Public Health research "Paper of the Year" award, School of Dentistry (2009)
- Ralph H. Metcalfe, Sr. Chair, Marquette University (2004-2005)