Journal Reviewer Mini Bootcamp Part I: Understanding the Manuscript Review Process
Peer review has been identified as a critical element of the publication process. (JF Polak, 1995). However, the continued growth of scientific submissions puts an increasing burden on the demand for peer review (M. Kovanis etal., 2016). Reviewer fatigue has become evident in trying to meet the review demands(C. Fox et al., 2017). It is therefore critical that new manuscript reviewers are trained to add diversity to the mix of reviewers and increase the number of skilled reviewers to reduce the burden and control burnout of current reviewers.
Reviewer development and mentorship comes in many forms. The intent of this workshop is to mentor individuals interested in developing or enhancing their knowledge and skill set related to reviewing research manuscripts. This 2 part workshop series will support individuals who are interested in developing knowledge and skills to review research manuscripts. Participants will review a manuscript using a review checklist to support their learning.
- Discuss the peer review process as a reviewer.
- Identify a reviewer’s checklist used when reviewing a manuscript.
- Demonstrate review skills via a journal article review exercise.
- Identify ways to become a journal reviewer.
Part 1: Understanding the manuscript review process
- What is the purpose of peer review?
- What is the peer review process?
- What tools can be used to support the peer review process?
- How to present supportive feedback?
- Participants will initially be put in breakout rooms to respond to these questions. They will then be brought back to the main room where a presentation of the answers to these questions will be further discussed.
Note: You can register for this post-conference when registering for Nexus Summit 2021 or as an add-on to a pre-existing Summit registration. You can learn more on our registration page.
AIHC members registered for Nexus Summit 2021 can attend this post-conference session as a complimentary member benefit. Please contact email@example.com for more information.